Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Big Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Ram 2500 with engine noise.

I've had my Hemi powered Ram 2500 since March and I want some clarity on what is acceptable noise to be heard from the Hemi. I've noticed when I drive with the windows down the truck is a rather noisy beast. This is not the throaty exhaust note coming out of the pipe but rather a medley of different noises. One I assume is the "Hemi Tick" I've read much about. Another is the intake making a sucking noise while under acceleration.

However, the one that really irritates me is what I would describe as an exhaust noise that comes from the middle of the truck. It's a weird noise that only occures under a load. It mimicks an exhaust leak but without a leak. If my truck is running and I place the truck in gear the noise will start. I've even heard it while the truck is in park but the A/C compressor kicks on and puts a slight load on the engine and you hear it. I'm guessing the noise is coming from the exhaust prior to the muffler. My dealer had the truck and they state it is normal "hemi" noise. I've thought that it may be due to thin exhaust piping allowing noise to resonate through the pipe wall and subsequently sound like crap.

Of course when driving the truck the noise is pronounced only on acceleration. While coasting or revving the engine without a load will not cause the noise. I dare say it almost had a diesel clatter sound to it when accelerating.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Big Ed; 09-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored links