View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
ShaneO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69beeguy View Post
although similar, chumpcar is different from lemons. at chumpcar races, they rarely get over 40 cars per event. at the BIR event this year they had 30 (or so) that started and 21 finished. chumpcar is racing with a side of spectacle, lemons is the other way around.
anyway, i bought a set of headers for a whopping $1 off ebay (NIB). i looked into the coil thing. both the accel and stock are the same voltage wise primary and secondary. i found a 5.9 magnum from a u pull it yard for $100. it had 83k on it and a blown head gasket. i checked all the bearings and no excessive wear. they hardly were broken in. i am going with the HV oil pump and adding the hp spring. there was a little water in the head to i think a valve job is in order, but i am just going to true up the head as far as milling goes. i gasket matched the intake, heads and polished the throttle body. the 5.2 cam has a better profile, so i will find one of those from that same yard. other than that, im not messing with the rest of the internals.
Watch out for those budget headers, thye usually have problems staying sealed up to the heads, heck even some higher end headers just dont seal as well as they should.. Stock Cast Iron manifolds will work great, and be ultra reliable. Lemons or Chump it is the same thing, getting low cost cars to run competitive for little money. I am on a team that is doing the next Chicago LeMons race. We are using a 95 Caprice wagon painted like the family truckster in National Lampoons vacation. The stock LT1 is the perfect choice, plenty of power, so its staying stock. Our sister team is the Punisher racing team running a 9c1 Caprice cop car of 95 vintage also, and placed second in South Carolina a few years ago. It is stock motor also, has plenty of power so the focus was on making it go left and right better than stock. Trust me, quit worrying about power, with a 360 in an A body, you will have more than enough power, make sure it gets to the ground well and can go around a corner quickly or all the power in the world will not help you. Reliability is the key though, make sure it runs the whole time, 7 hours of WOT racing is hard on a car and motor. Spend your money on reliability first. And dont forget, that while not part of the $500 budget, tires are not a cheap expense, and you will need more than 1 set. Good sticky tires are super important!

Most all, have fun!