View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I pretty much agree with Juice except I wouldn't call the 700 Raptor a utility quad but rather a big bore sport quad. The Kaw and Honda 700's are both automatics where the Raptor has a manual clutch/tranny. You also might consider a trailer made specifically for ATV's with a side load feature. I have a 6x12' trailer and two Brute Force 650 utility quads won't fit on it lengthwise and still allow the rear ramp to be closed.

Personally I prefer a sport quad over a utility for several reasons. Mainly because I mostly fast trail ride with some ocassional time on th MX and flat tracks and this type of quad is better suited to what I do. If you prefer a more leisurely pace with occassional bursts of speed and a more comfortable ride combined with the ability to carry hunting/camping gear, extra fuel or a cooler, then a utility with racks is the better choice. My advice is to ride several different styles if you can and see what suits your taste, needs and budget the best.

One word about riding gear. Don't try to cheap out in this department. If you have a $50 head then buy a $50 helmet. You don't have to get the most expensive one out there but do look for Snell and/or DOT stickers and try them on before you buy. A properly fitting helmet won't move on you when you shake your head side to side or up and down. Wear it for a few minutes and make sure it's comfortable. An ill-fitting helmet can cause headaches and ruin the whole ride. The best advice anyone gave me for gearing up is to "dress to crash, not to ride". I ride agressively, so I typically wear a helmet, goggles, gloves, riding pants and a jersey, chest protector, shin guards and boots - all of which have saved my ass at one point or another.

If you haven't already taken a safety course, I'd recommend one. Many dealers and manufacturers offer free courses when you buy a new ATV. Best of luck with your upcoming purchase. You're going to have a lot of fun!