Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram QuadCab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:34
jaymiller is on a distinguished road
Default More on the Head

Hey there guys,

I finally got the front end back together. I set up the timing as explained in the Chiltons manual. I took pictures right before I put the Timing Cover on so I wouldn't go crazy wondering if I set it up wrong. Guess what...I started it and it ran so rough that I knew I messed up the timing. So, I pulled out the camera and examined the pics. I still coulnd't figure it out, they looked fine to me. Then my son looked at the pics and compared them to the Chilton's manual and said "you put this on upside down dad."
I'll save you the "Where's Waldo" experience by pointing out that I put the Primary Chain on upside down. If you notice, the Two Dots (two plated links) are supposed to be at the 12 o'clock position on the big Idler Sprocket. I had the side of the chain with one dot (one plated link) at the Idler Sprocket's 12 o'clock position and the end with two dots at the Crank Sprocket's 6 o'clock position. Another 4 hrs later I had the cover off, pulled the chains off and completely reset the timing chains.
My mistake made a 1/2 link error between the crank and cams...enough to make it barely run.

The last 2 pics are of the Secondary Chain Tensioner Piston. I cleaned the little oil galley holes on the back and top by blowing air throught it. I compressed the piston with vice grips and released the ratchet "paw" with a small eyeglass screwdriver (on the side in a hole) to let the piston collapse. The I stuck a paper clip in the hole in front to hold the piston while I bolted it back in. Once both pistons were installed and I was ready to button it all up, I pulled the two paper clips on the Secondary Tensioners and they pressed against the chains and tightened them fairly well. It's all expalined in the Chiltons manual with pictures etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.JPG (55.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.JPG (64.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Sprocket.jpg (86.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09902.JPG (78.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.JPG (61.4 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by jaymiller; 10-17-2010 at 12:04 AM.