Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 4x4 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:63
Black05 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheworld View Post
2. Transmission - 3/10: The transmission in this truck is horrid. I was extremely dissapointed from the transmission on the trip. It is very, very clunky, often fails to downshift until you really press the pedal down, and when it does jolts the entire truck forward. There is a significant pause as the truck downshifts and when power is delivered, it comes in a very scary and jerky way. I also had several issues trying to control the transmission manually. I attempted to change into the proper gear before a hill. The "manual mode" would only respond around one time out of every three pushes. I would often find myself at the hill before it finally kicked in, which would result in an unsettling downshift. I had issues with this the entire way across the mountains. I also had issues engaging the manual mode in the first place. I am still having issues with downshifting, especially when going up hills. I have a pause and then a very unsettling power delivery. Pretty dissapointed in this transmission overall. I am glad that I didn't haul the 5k lb trailer that I had planned on. I think the tranny would have fallen out somewhere in SD.
I have an 05 4x4 SLT and I have the same complaints about the trans everything else is on point. I really noticed it the other day when hauling some cars to/from WV 1500lb up trip, 2500lb car home after a trade. Power was not an issue the truck didn't even feel like it had a load behind it, however sometimes it felt like it was in too high a gear and would not downshift unless the accelerator was press considerably. When pressed in this fashion once it downshifted it wanted to go. This was prevalent even in TOW/HAUL mode although less noticeable. I don't know though maybe just a little quirk I'll get used to, until I get my DSP