View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
mjshealy is on a distinguished road
Default UNSOLVABLE PROBLEM Please help! Spitting, misfiring, etc.

Hey all, i have a 2001 Dogde Ram 4wd 5.2. I've had a problem going on for months now that has left my truck undrivable, i'm relying on my POS oldsmobile now. Basically, when i start the truck, anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes into idle, it will kick down to 300 rpm's, spit, sputter, misfire... and that lasts anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes. THEN, it kicks up to 1,200 RPM and works back down to normal idle, and idles fine, but this cycle continues about every 20 - 30 minutes. If you get in the truck, you can either gently push in the gas to where it won't do anything, or you can floor it and its fine. If you put the gas pedal anywhere between all the way down and all the way up, it spits, sputters, misfires & wont do anything. Again, sometimes it'll sputter and then go fine for 60 seconds, but it comes back to running like crap. I get NO check engine light when any of this is happening.

What i HAVE done/replaced: Replaced TPS sensor 3 times now, unrelated o2 sensor replaced, replaced all plugs & wires, replaced ignition coil, performed a fuel pressure test: 44 PSI at normal idle, NO fluctuation when engine kicks down and sputters. (so 44 psi when acting up too). Cleaned Throttle body, cleaned IAC valve, replaced PCV valve, and a couple others i cant think of right now.

EDIT: When it kicks down, the IAC valve starts to open up to try and compensate for some kind of fuel change obviously, but pressure is normal.
Sponsored links