Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 Club Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
pcm1977 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 5.2 Lacks Power and Hissing Noise Under Hood

I have not driven my truck muck lately due to shoulder surgery (about a month), but my wife has driven it a couple of time to the store during that time and reported nothing wrong. This week end was the first time I was really going to take it out and drive it, but about 2-3 miles into normal driving I could hear a hissing noise coming from under the hood. I have had the hose come off the PCV valve before and that caused a hissing noise, after stopping to check that, which is was not, I decided to return home. On the way home I noticed that the more I drove the more sluggish the truck would get (it feels like I am towing a 10 ton trailer).

When I got home I checked the PCV and it was gross (original). Four dollars and 30 seconds later it seemed to help, but after closer examination the hissing noise seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine. I also did some more checking the next day and determined that the warmer the engine gets the louder the hissing and the more “sluggish” it drives.

Does anyone have an idea? Vacuum leak or worse? The truck is mostly original except water pump, muffler and radiator and the usual (shock, plugs, etc.).
Sponsored links