View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster72 View Post
Awesome thread/forum.

I have a 2010 crew with the Alpine system. I would agree with your general assessment. I can live with the highs by turning them down in the equalizer and I like the soundstage the 10 speaker system gives me, but I am really frustrated with the muddy midbass and non-existant low end on the system.

I would like to do a simple speaker swap but am concerned it will not fix the problems. What do you guys think? Would just upgrading the door speakers be a significant upgrade? I'm not trying to get the perfect system, I just want this thing to sound as good as some decent computer speakers

What about the sub? It's obviously lacking. Is that a power issue or a sub issue? Could I try a better 8" and amp or do I need to ditch the whole setup and do something like the 10" JL Stealthbox?

I want to keep this looking as factory as possible because this is a company vehicle.
I am just going to speak strictly from opinion here, and it's based off of the simple routes I've tried with my Ram. Swapping out the speakers actually made the system sound worse... The factory amp is tweaked and tuned to extract the best performance from those cheap speakers, and basically sounds like ass with a quality speaker. The boosts and cuts with the factory eq really add a lot of unwanted timbre and sibilance.

You could start first with upgrading the subwoofer, the JL Stealthbox is a great choice. I believe one of our good members here have one for sale in the classifieds. I've also read of a few installs where other Ram owners swapped out the factory 8" subwoofer for a 10", but it would need to be a ten that likes small enclosures.