Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Duster72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I am just going to speak strictly from opinion here, and it's based off of the simple routes I've tried with my Ram. Swapping out the speakers actually made the system sound worse... The factory amp is tweaked and tuned to extract the best performance from those cheap speakers, and basically sounds like ass with a quality speaker. The boosts and cuts with the factory eq really add a lot of unwanted timbre and sibilance.

You could start first with upgrading the subwoofer, the JL Stealthbox is a great choice. I believe one of our good members here have one for sale in the classifieds. I've also read of a few installs where other Ram owners swapped out the factory 8" subwoofer for a 10", but it would need to be a ten that likes small enclosures.

Thanks for the response. I will consider the Stealthbox. Do I need to run a new line if I replace the sub? Is the sub signal filtered from the factory amp to compensate for that crappy "Alpine" 8"?

The thing that concerns me is that I had 2 8"s in my last truck and it sounded pretty great compared to the single 8" in this truck.