Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road
Default Actually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Geek View Post
the best way i found to change the oil on a CTD is to get a drain pan that is not open on the top it will have just a hole in the middle. drill a bunch of holse in the top about 1/4'' in diameter. pull the drain plug while the engine has night soaked. it wont go all over the place the cause oil is nice and thick.
I found the best way was to use the open top pan. I've tried three types (one similar to what Diesel Geek mentioned) and the open top ones work best for me. Probalby just a preference thing, but I also like the oil nice and warm. Habit I suppose. Bottom-line, changing your own oil can be a very satifying experience as you will know it was done right, with the right oil and filter, but that comes with the price of a 'possible' mess, and recycling the oil to the auto parts store afterwards (I dump my oil into a 5 Gal gas can dedicated to this so I can get 2 changes for one trip to the store). Have fun either way, no matter how you get it done and keep changing that Diesels oil, it's about the only thing you need to do for a Diesel regularly...besides spark plugs and muffler bearings of course!

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.