Thread: What did I do?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 2500
Color: dented white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
timmytard is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 1998 ram 2500, 5.9 Magnum gas engine about a month ago.

When I was at my buddy's house last night the rad was full. My buddy wanted me to drive home with the rad cap on, but only loose.
I didn't think that was a good idea. told him not to, and checked to make sure it was tight. When I popped the hood today it was loose, and not full.
I'm assuming that the coolant just spurted out on the way home. I put 2 litters of fresh coolant in, that's all I had & topped up the rest with water.
I went out for about 10-15 min, after a couple min it started to blow hot air through the vents. The temp gauge never even got to half way, not sure if I just didn't drive it long enough to get that hot or ?

When I left buddy's last night, it had sat for about 4-5 hrs hood up & it was pretty chilly between 8-12 degrees so I think it was completely cold, I drove for about half n hour but there was NO heat at all.

Is it possible, that when I took the rad cap off when it was hot, that initial pop I heard caused the thermostat to jam up.
After writing that last bit, I remember it better.

I cracked the cap, & I could hear it start to bubble up. I never actually took it off. The steel center of the rad cap went from luke warm to real hot. After a few seconds of gurgling, I could hear it getting closer to the top, it started to squirt. I tightened it after about a spoon full leaked.
After starting it up, almost instantly in the red

Hope that helps shed some light on it