View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
Sledneck42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Pretty unlikely that emissions have anything to do with it. They're cracking down harder on diesels now than gas engines.
If ya think about it.. It would be very tough to have mds and a manual trans. Its a direct link to the engine. No coast ability like with a torque converter and an auto trans. Then again... They don't offer the mds with the 4.7 only the hemi in the 1500. They never offered a manual trans with the larger displacement engine in the 1500 post-1994. 5.9 or 5.7. They only came in an auto in the 1500.
They do offer mds in the Challenger with a manual trans but then again, the Challenger weighs 3000lbs lighter and isn't expected to haul or tow anything.

I just find it odd they don't offer the manual trans in any truck other then the diesel. Obviously people still want them because they offer it. They just want ya to spend another 6K to get it.

I have done some searching on the internet about trucks and car companies not offering manual trans and have come up with nothing.
EPA is cracking down on auto makers and emissions. They have what's called "Emissions credits" Take Ford for example.. Trucks are there best selling autos. In order to build lets say 2000 heavy duty trucks that dont have MPG's listed and aren't as efficient must build 1500 ford focus cars to get there emissions rating level, across that years production. Build so many of "X" to be able to build more "Y". Big polluting companies will by credits from other companies.
Then again... I could be totally wrong.