I recently did my own version of an ipod/iphone cable reroute in my 2010 Laramie. In this guide, I have used the original ipod interface cable that came with the truck (black end). It works with all functionality of iphone 4 ipod with 4.1 os installed. It does give a warning box when first plugging in phone that there may be a compatibility issue. I have ordered the updated cable from Dodge dealer to correct this warning (white end).
This install gives me the functionality to plug in my iphone and place it in the mount for hands free use or the ability to place my ipod in the glove box when cell phone use it not desired.
From what I understand, the updated cable will be needed to use a newer ipod touch to get charging functionality.
Ipod extension cable (phone end is the same size as Apple cable and works with most cases installed)
Vehicle specific cell mount
VSM-DG9208G3 : Vehicle Specific Mounting Bracket for Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep. (scroll down on page to view)
Ipod/Iphone mount for use with case and cable connected
SM040-2 : Mega Grip Cell Phone Holder | Mobile Phone Holder | Smartphone Holder. (scroll down on page to view)
Dual T adapter plate
AP032-VSM : VSM 4 Hole AMPS Adapter Mount for Magellan and HP GPS Devices. (scroll down on page to view)
Updated Ipod interface cable(link provided for info, ordered mine through Dodge)
Here is my version:
1. Tools needed: T20 torx driver, #2 phillips, 1/4 round file and a pocket screwdriver or trim removal tool.
2. Remove center console chrome trim ring by prying upward gently.
3. Remove lower tray insert.
4. Remove two phillips head console screws.
5. Set park brake and place shifter in drive with engine off. Remove center console trim panel by lifting and popping spring loaded tabs.
6. Remove driver side lower console kick panel by popping spring loaded tabs.
7. Remove passenger side lower console kick panel by popping spring loaded tabs.
8. Remove 110 outlet trim bezel by popping spring loaded tabs.
9. Remove screw above 110 outlet.
10. Remove top tray insert.
11. Remove two top tray screws.
12. Remove center trim panel for radio and controls by popping spring loaded tabs and lean rearward.
Continued on next post.