View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
Sledneck42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
believe or not, even the big trucks like Freightliners, Internationals, & Volvos are going with some Allison automatics, 6 speeds on up
you will soon see some Allison type automatics in the Rams

The largest investment in the U.S. since the new Company was formed in June 2009 was aided by the approval of a tax abatement from the city of Kokomo. The investment will fund the installation of equipment and special tooling to modernize Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo Casting Plant. The project will extend the life of both manufacturing facilities and help retain nearly 1,200 jobs.

Chrysler Group has licensed the manufacturing rights from Friedrichshafen, Germany-based ZF Group to build the new eight-speed beginning in 2013. Included in this agreement is the purchase of transmissions manufactured by ZF.
Chrysler Group LLC will initially receive the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF Getriebe GmbH plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF is setting up a new transmission production plant in North America, where the 8-speed transmissions will be produced.[5]Friedrichshafen ZF and Chrysler Group LLC have reached a supply and license agreement for ZF's 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo casting plant, starting in 2013

I myself prefer a stick shift IF i am stuck in mud or snow
WOW!!... That post was too much to comprehend...LOL.. Are you saying that Dodge trucks will be getting an 8spd automatic trans in the future?? That trans would have to have a REALLY close gear ratio to be practical in a passenger truck (Under 1 ton truck) Only the diesel engine has a chance of making it usable. Doing 70 mph you would be turning 1000 RPM or less.. No gas engine could do it.