View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
I respect your comments, I didn't take anything to heart, really, I kind of fell onto this information accidently, and just to set the record straight, I'm not going to jeopradize an investment as big as my truck, I more or less was hoping for objective opinions. I guess I was more curious about the properties of acetone, how it claims to help atomize fuel more completely thus producing slightly better fuel economy. I suppose I should have read and researched more before posting. I'm really not dissapointed with the mileaege my truck is getting. Like I said in my original post, I didn't purchase this truck for gas mileage.
Acetone disolves just about everything, is pretty volatile, and probably serves as a surfactant breaking down surface tension in the fuel. If the fuel molecules are less cohesive you would get better atomization of fuel by the injectors. The problem is that modern fuel injectors (when clean) also do a marvelous job of atomizing fuel on their own. I'm not sure you gain much of anything. Acetone is also probably a less dense engery source than gasoline (all though this is purely speculation on my part), and would therefore decrease milage in terms of distance traveled per fuel consumed, although the additional fuel in terms of the volume of acetone might give you a slight boost. Of course acetone is more expesive than gasoline so that's not a good trade off either.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.