Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
nanney1 is on a distinguished road

O.K. another report or two. I don't see any difference between the odomoter reading and the overhead computer. After doing the subtraction, the odomoter showed 368 miles since the last fill-up and the computer read 368.4.

This fill-up the computer showed 16.2 mpg for the trip but the hand calculation was at 15.7, which is an improvement over the previous two fill-ups.

I'm still driving with O/D off below 55 mph and running with O/D on above 55mph while not using cruise control. Tried something a little different this time. I routinely drive to work on a stretch of highway for about 10 miles in a 65 mph zone. Instead of driving right at the speed limit, I dropped down to around 60 or just a little above. By doing this, I noticed that my overhead computer seemed to like this type of driving better and I ended up this last fill-up with the computer reading 17.2 mpg for the trip.

This is one mpg better than I've done before on the computer reading. So, I was expecting the hand calculation to end up around 16.2, but nope.... it ended up at 15.3 mpg. Right around where I've been all along. So, while that style of driving seemed to manipulate the overhead, it did nothing for actual mpg.