Vehicle: 2006 Ram 4WD
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:81
Digipenguin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I wouldn't be to worried about it to much, they have not made a decent Dakota for almost 15 to 20 years, when i worked for the State of California, there was a time when almost all the pickups were Dodges, they made a Dakota back then that had a V-8 if i remember right, it was almost the size of a full sized truck, it looked good too. The Equipment shop liked the hell out of them, because unlike the other pickups, they didn't need hardly any repairs, just normal servicing.

I loved my '98. The only stock problem it had was ball joints. They went bad if you looked at 'em funny. I had a ton of other front end problems but they were self inflicted due to larger tires and not knowing what I was doing when I lifted it and did my own alignment. Everyone told me not to buy it because of the tranny but I beat the hell outta that 231 HD and it never even blinked. I wheeled through rock fields filled with rocks bigger than my head, did brake stands and giant smoky doughnuts for 7 years and it never failed. A few engine and airflow mods and I was pushing 270HP at the wheel from a 318. All in a midsize truck that looked good too. I miss that truck.

I think I would have bought it no matter what the name was. The problem I think the Dakota has now is that it looks like ass. That's my personal opinion but it seems to be the consensus from those I've talked to. They took away all the muscley lines and replaced them with sharp angles. Blech.

Personally, if the name is not completely repulsive, I buy a truck based on looks and performance. I don't think the name changes they are proposing are that radical.