View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: White w/blue trim & chrome
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
RAMIT222 is on a distinguished road
Default COLD Starting DIESEL

Hi, I have a 2001, 2500 Ram with the 5.9L Cummins turbo DIESEL in it. I have read the threads in here about the starting problems. Mine may or may not want to start depending on the situation. I live in Alberta, Canada & it is already winter, 4" of snow & well below freezing. If I plug it in & use the grid heater element it will start fairly well. If I go out & park it say @ a mall, then it isn't being plugged in. Where could I tap into the fuel system to check the pressure & what should it be ? I want to also put a permanent guage to moniter it to check on the lift pump & injection pump. The truck has 2 batteries. What would be say a minimum CCA ( cold cranking Amps ) for the batteries to cycle the intake manifold grid heater 1 or 2 times & then crank it ? I measured the resistance of the grid heater @ 2 ohms. Is this good ? It does heat up ok I suppose. Does anyone have an electrical drawing/schematic of the grid heater solenoids on the left fender back to the engine ECM ? These questions will help me as well as many others I am sure - Thank you !!
Sponsored links