View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road
Red face I'll stick with the Cummins and an auto tranny ty...

I have the auto in my 3500 dually and I tow a 40' 5'er that weighs in at over 18K. I tow this for about 85% of the time and I would NOT get a manual tranny for this application. Not if it was less money, not if it was rated for more torque (which is the opposite btw), not even if it made the whole rig 'go faster' by some miracle. It's smoother, easier, less stressful on the trailer and allows me to drive longer due to the reduced amount of work hour after hour on the road. When I have people in the trailer on the road, I'm quite sure they would not want the added shift-point-hesitations from a manual. In fact I feel the table has turned and the autos are the better choice now. With the electronics controlling lockup so well now (tow-haul and o.d. off) my Pac Brake is spot-on for all the downhill adventures. The only change I'd make if possible would be to get more gears in the auto and that there were a little more control over shift points.>>> I agree that downshifting (during accel) comes on at times I wish it didn't. I plan on getting a Banks TC with a well-rebuilt tranny next year so I expect this issue will diminish..

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.