Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
Dodge trucks are notorious for sludging, and I have seen it first hand in my own 4.7. I have seen the goo piled up on my oil cap and know that it can fill oiling ports and lead to an early demise for the motor
that is not true.....only engine weve had that was prone to sludge if regular maint was not followed to the T was the 2.7.....
in any engine if you do not change the oil as recommended you are asking for trouble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMoparMan63 View Post
Excellent point.

The oil fill spout is elevated and is plastic. Plastic does not transfer heat.

What you're seeing is oil vapors that rise in that tube, and are exposed to cooler air, causing condensation, hence the tan, gooie, build up you get.

Short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temps long enough to dry it out, will make it worse. Not to mention, the PCV valve is there, sucking engine/oil vapor up to that location.

Ford had the same issue on the older small block engines, at the oil fill cap, where the PCV fit into.

It's harmless.....just really annoying to see, and you'll see it more in the winter/coller months then you will in the summer, because of the warmer, summer ambient temps.
^^^true story^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05atlanticblue View Post
frequent oil changes and that brand in the same sentence - thats a first

the best way to avoid sludge issues is to follow the mopar maintenance schedule to a tee using fluids with the correct recommended certifications.
following mopar's recommendations, we've had four late model mopars, all with over 100k on the odometer and not one issue...
amsoil is not a recommended lubricant by any manufacturer that i know of
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD