View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2015 3500 Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:60
Razor will become famous soon enough
Default Lifting or Leveleing

Please excuse my ignorance, but I did try to search for information in here and all over the Internet. Surprisingly I was unable to find the answers to the basics about "why" leveling/lifting. Most threads already have people knowing "why" they want to lift, and just trying to decide "how".

Before I kick off what might come across as the most basic and even naive question ever, here are a few of my thoughts & concerns:

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 that is my daily driver for business use around the city of Houston. Some parking garages I have to enter are restricted as low as 6' 3" clearance. I initially tried some 305 Nitto tires and it felt like I was driving in sand (very sluggish feeling) and noisy on the highway. So I opted for Michelin AT2 for a balance of street usage (95%) and snow / mud when we go on camping and ski trips to Colorado (5%). I really LIKE the current condition of the vehicle in terms of drivability, turning, ride comfort, etc.

It would be nice to have additional ground clearance when we go out in West Texas or Colorado off road trails where washouts and troughs make highpoints in the trail or medium size rocks can cause concern.

Questions: Why lift/level the truck? Is it just to get bigger tires in there, or to increase ground clearance for the body? Both? Those of you with bigger tires, do you notice the truck feeling "slower" or "sluggish"?

Leveling (what does it really accomplish)?

Lifting (how high, what is the risk)?

How do either of these affect driving comfort, suspension (bounce), gas mileage, cornering, roll over threat?
Sponsored links