View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Really lots of people lift their trucks because they like the look. I did it just for that reason. You could ask the same thing for a lowered truck, why lower? Is it to do the Limbo?

If you level the truck it is much less of a cost then lifting. With the lift kit you are buying a whole lift kit which can cost anywhere from $1000 - $3000. A leveling kit is like $100 - $200. The difference is the amount of height that you can get out of it.

With a leveling kit you can fit some bigger tires, usually up to 33". If you lift the truck 4" you can fit 35" tires and 6" 35"-37".

Yes with bigger tires the truck will feel slower. This is because you are adding so much weight to the truck. There is much more rolling weight so your braking is worse as well. I did not mind the drive with my bigger tires, I actually like it a lot. It does have a litter more body roll since the center of gravity is higher. I find I can throw the rear end out much easier when it is wet. The lift kit I have adds a leaf in the rear which really stiffens up the rear end. I find the whole ride stiff which is actually comfortable, it soaks up the bumps. LOVE IT!!

If you want a smoother ride from a bigger tire you should look at getting an All Terrain rather then a mud tire. It will make a difference since all terrain tires are designed to be more on the road while they can still be good for mild off roading. All terrain tires will also make less road noise as well.

With my truck and its 6" lift and 35" tires it drives like a dream. I love the way it rides I feel like it is much better then stock. It was all worth it.

I dont know if you can get into a parking garage with the 4" lift kit since you are going to put bigger tires. You are looking at adding over 6" total in height. You should really measure the truck now and add 10" to it to be safe. If you want to do it then maybe get a leveling kit since you are adding 2-2.5" to the trucks height. You can fit 33" tires which will make the truck better and keep the stock ride quality.

Honestly is you do the right kinda lift kit and proper install you dont have much to worry about. A quality lift will really make a difference over a cheap one. You dont want to screw around with quality since you can start going through drive shafts, U joints, ball joints etc..... If you do get a proper lift kit and a great install then you wont have to worry too much. It will be the same wear and tear if you didnt have the lift kit.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights

Last edited by ScatPak07; 12-11-2010 at 07:39 PM.