View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road

It's not an easy affair to be certain... How much experience with glass do you have? How much time do you have and is your truck a daily driver? Are you any good with sheet metal or custom wood work (you'll have to make a frame structure if you start adding a lot of heavy equipment).

I'm undergoing a similar project, but from a different approach... My truck is a daily driver, so I'm just glassing it back together and adding some speaker pods to bring the sound stage up a little.

Start by defining what you goal is... Are you keeping the factory gauges? How about the factory duct work (it's hard plastic, so if you don't want to fabricate new ducts, your vents have to stay where they're at)... Where will you move all of these controls and fixtures to? Are you going to fabricate a new faceplate?

There isn't a kit, and there aren't any rules except it has to meet your standards and pass the vehicle safety inspection (so the dash lights and speedometer have to work).

If you're tight on money... sketch it out really good first... then go get some cardboard boxes and a hot glue gun and start modeling what you want it to look like. keep in mind where the mounts to the firewall are, and where all the stuff that can't move has to be... then go from there. Also, it wouldn't hurt to google it... there are a ton of free links out there that will show you step by step how to do fiberglass work.