Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ridetheworld is on a distinguished road

I didn't notice it either during the test drive, which I did in Tacoma, WA. If possible, try taking the truck up a steep incline with the cruise control on (Snoqualmie Pass). When the truck downshifts it will scare the shit out of you, one of the most unsettling experiences I have ever had in a vehicle. There is a hesitation, downshift, a jerk like you wouldn't believe, and then the truck just goes...fast.

I live in the South Sound area, so I don't see many hills in my daily commute. However, when I drove back and forth across the U.S., first I-90 east through Northern Idaho, Montana, etc... and then across Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming on the way back I was extremely disappointed with the high speed performance of the truck. This truck is not made to cruise (comfortably) at a speed above 70mph in anything but a completely flat area. Anything with rolling hills (Kansas, South Dakota, Montana, etc...) will present numerous challenges to this trucks transmission. It will constantly downshift (no problem in other vehicles I have owned) and you will be rewarded with that unsettling take off I mentioned. As I stated in my first post, the engine is awesome but the transmission is garbage. I now have 12k miles on the truck and still feel the same way. I averaged 15-16 mpg with an average speed of 75mph for 6000+ miles, this was with the truck mostly unloaded. I rarely use the toggle shifter because it rarely works.

As a daily driver I have few complaints, the only issue I have is leaving my girlfriends neighborhood in the morning. I have to really stomp the gas to get the truck to go up the steep incline (like 75% of the pedal down) otherwise I hit "eco" mode going up hill and the truck puts along no faster than 15mph. Again, hesitation and then go!

I did test drive a new tundra before the Ram. To be honest I couldn't tell much of a difference in the Tundra (transmission wise), but again this was on relatively flat terrain. I didn't drive a new F-150 which I regret.

I still have issues selecting the gears manually, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I bought the truck at Tacoma Dodge and paid 29k for a 2010 Ram 5.7l V-8, Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, Dual Exhaust. The dealer was no different then the ones I have been to before. "We are only going to make $100 on this truck with this deal" kind of BS. They did flash the truck for free though when I bought the ITBC.

I have yet to pull a trailer. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ridetheworld; 12-28-2010 at 02:32 AM.