View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road
Default here's where I'm at after 3 days of work

Hey Man... Just wanted to share my efforts ... I've been working on this for 3 days...

The first part of it was mostly like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle...

Well, after a couple of days with a hot glue gun, some dowels and miscellaneous scraps of wood used for bracing... I was able to get the basic shape together...

And today I cut out a speaker baffle for (2) 5"x7"s and glassed in about half of it with heavy matting. I went through 2 qts of resin this far, and need at least 2 more qts to finish the top... so I'd recommend buying at least a gallon if at a time.

Here's where I left it today... you can that I've filled most of the holes on the passenger side and started molding in the center speaker baffle...

I wanted to put (4) 5"x7"s up there, but I'm not sure if they'll all fit without a ton of modification... Here's what it looked like when I was playing with speaker locations...

Maybe tomorrow after I get my resin, I'll look at it again, and see if it's going to be worth molding in 2 more speaker baffles... I really want to raise the sound stage up off my knees and into something more properly imaged. I'm just worried that (4) 5"x7"s in the dash may blow my ear drums...

I'll post more photos as the work gets completed... for anyone who just wants to put their original dash back together... this is a 2 to 3 day job at most... and a lot of that is prep work and cure time... Laying the glass is the easy (albeit messy) part... sanding and priming and all that is the pain in the butt. My work around is that I'm not going to paint it... I'm going to wrap it in vinyl and make custom grills to cover the speakers... that way, the top finish on the glass and filler doesn't' have to be "baby-butt" smooth.

Johnny