View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road
Trim Level: Club Cab SLT Laramie
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:30
SanFranRamFan is on a distinguished road
Default Shocks for Off-Road edition??

my '01 Off-Road came with the red, heavy-duty shocks which Rock Balls (absolutely no body roll, handle bumps with ease and i can corner at high speeds as good as, if not better than, the little rice rockets that try to race me down the big windy hill into town) but it's about time to replace/upgrade them and i'm not sure about brand and height.

the edition comes with a 2" lift (some say 3", i'm pretty sure it's 2. build sheet coming from Dodge any day now. annny day now...) so does that mean i need shocks for a 2" lift? sounds stupid, i know, but i'm just unclear whether factory lifts are the same as after-market.

as far as brand, my mechanic swears by KYBs, says they are 30% better than the rest all the way around. but i've been looking online and found more people like Edelbrock & Bilstein. any preference?

i'm looking at 80% highway 20% off-road use. i want a smoother ride than what i've got now (factory shocks are as stiff as i can stand on the highway but get the job done off-road) with the ability to take hard bumps and knocks on rough terrain.

any advice greatly appreciated!
Sponsored links