View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road
Default pricey

Yeah, that pricetag of $350 for a piece of ABS plastic is why I went the fiberglass route... getting to be creative with it was just icing on the cake.

OP - do you have any snaps of how bad your dash is? Mine was in abut 100 pieces when I started... took me a day with a hot glue gun to figure out where most of them went, and i was missing a bunch of them... so I made a framework of of scrap bits of wood and dowel rods... It's not nearly as difficult as you'd think. Just have to take your time. If I was going ot stop at putting it back together, I'd have been done in 3 days. The only reason it's taking longer is I'm going custom on the dash top. The other thing that's screwing me is my lower dash (the "structure" that EVERYTHING mounts to is super-brittle now too and i'm having to add glass and mat to the backside of it so it doesn't' fall apart while I'm driving around. I think once I've got it all back together, I'm going to spray sound deadener over the entire inside (with the controls and such out of it) to add a little more "tenacity" to it and also to keep the speakers from damaging it.

One thing to remember... the dash cap is NOT designed to be removed without taking off the dash assembly (there are a lot of screws at the lip that you can't access without it being off (If your truck is a 94-??? with the more square style dash). Knowing how dodge does things, it's probably the same through the 2001 model trucks. It's about a 2 hour job to get the dash off... but if you structure is busted up, leave it in place until you have some time to deal with it because it'll disentegrate.

J