View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Tom. I'll be real honest though... it's not hard at all... just time consuming. I offer that much to anyone who is interested in doing fiberglass work. Also, one of the best resources for step by step, "this is how to do it and why we do it this way" type instructions... Go to YouTube and look for Steve Meade Designs.

Steve is this guy who lives in Cali, and has a series of YouTube videos for his trucks that he's been building and they are SICK (!!!). He'll show you all of the dos and dont's.

I really recommend going straight to the 15 or so videos (they range from 1 minute to 15 minutes each) on how he built his door panels. He walks you through making the speaker rings, and how to mount them and how to lay glass and how to beef it up with structure so it won't rattle or break... And the door panels for his tahoe are insane... he put an 8" mid-bass and (3) 6.5" component sets (with the tweeters too) in each door panel (not mounted to the door, but mounted in a heavy duty fiberglass panel so there's no issue with mounting depth).

As for my progress on the dash and the wire job... By Friday I should have all of the wire run and the dash smoothed out and ready for me to decide between paint or vinyl. I want to do vinyl, but I think paint may be quicker, and then I can do Vinyl after I have the center console built and the door panels redone.

I was going to scrap this truck this summer and throw my CTD (Cummins Turbo Diesel) into a 4x4 suburban or maybe a crew cab F-350 (there are a lot of them from the early '90s that came with gas motors because it was so cheap back then, and they are perfect for an engine swap)... So this truck is really more or less practice for what I'm going to do to my next ride. And then I can part out the dodge... including the custom fiberglass I've been making. There again, that's all hearsay until I actually do it... I do a lot of thinking out loud, but the real decision is never made until I'm at THAT point where it has to be made (kinda like the paint vs vinyl decision I'll be making this weekend).

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to put up some pics by Friday.

Johnny