View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road
Default didn't want to jack your thread...

Hey Bro,
I didn't want to jack your thread, so I started another one that's going to cover my entire interior refit and stereo install (it'll be an ongoing thing)... but I have the dash about 90% done, so I thought I'd drop off a few snaps of what I did.

I went with 2 stereo speakers and 2 center channels (they'll actually be run on a summed amp so it will be the same effect as a basic center channel without the high dollar processor)...

This is a wide shot with it out of the truck...

Here's a few of the glass I laid down behind the dash to fix the broken structure...

And the corner i had to remold because it was smashed...

Some of it is still a little rough... My plan at present is to clean it up a little more, and then mask off the bottom, scuff, paint and prime the lower portion with the factory color. The top will get a padded vinyl covering, that will be tight enough to show the contours, but padded enough to fill any gaps (like the one along the passenger side lip) and to add a little bit of sound deadening and anti-rattle (I'll put some dyna-matt on the back of it for sure).

All in all, I spent about 30 hours on it (give or take) and about $150 in construction materials (all of them... the mat, resin, cloth, brushes, acetone, extra catalyst, body filler, etc etc etc). It wouldn't be cost effective if you had to have someone else do it (at $20 an hour, that'd be kinda nutz) but if you're a DIY kinda person, it's not hard, just time consuming.

Before you do any of this (if you're not sure how) then go watch youtube videos by Steve Meade. He has like 3 websites and does custom car stereo installs... watch his series that cover how he built his custom door panels (about 90-100 minutes worth of footage) and you'll know everything you need to know about building custom installs with glass.

Hope this was helpful.

Johnny