View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:210
Rkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
I was pretty disappointed when I found out after the fact that my 4x4 did not have skid plates. Every 4x4 I've ever owned came with them.

I don't go off-roading like I used to in my Beast but it would be nice to know that if I slid off the road in snow/ice or decided to follow an unpaved road that my oil pan and other vitals were protected.

As a side note, I remember seeing a post here on the Z about using the tow hooks to pull other vehicles out. Someone said its not a good idea to pull using reverse. I don't remember the specifics, but if I find it, I'll post a link or quote about it. Just thought I'd mention it.
Maybe its because if your pulling in 2wd the weight of the other vehicle is pulling against the front of the truck and is actually lifting the back slightly giving less traction...also I don't know about the gearing in reverse. I would think 4wd would be fine.
But usually if your hooking up your front hooks its only to clear someone of a hazard (not like your towing them around town) and its only short bursts at short distances