View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I dreamed of being a mechanic since I was a kid. But made the mistake of listening to my Father. Back then schools like UTI didn't exist so it was find a good shop and learn via OJT.

My advice is follow your dreams and passion. They make the difference between a job and a career.

Check with the local dealerships service managers, not the advisors and ask them what they think regarding who gives the best training and the potential for employment after graduation.

If you want to get into high end racing stuff most of the mechanics on the NASCAR circuit are engineers, at least that's what I've read. I think the same goes for NHRA.

College is beneficial because it opens doors but we in the US have a bad habit of forcing our kids to go to college when they don't even know what they want to go to college to learn.

Another option is joining the military and getting some training and experience there. You can pick your field and also get money for college when you get out via the GI Bill. If you decide to check into the military, remember the recruiters do NOT lie, but they will only answer questions you ask. So, feel free to ask away about what you should be asking them.

Ok, off my soap box.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"