View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

A if I had a chance to do it over , I'd consider going to college . I never went off to any type of school like Wyotech or UTI . I'm pretty much self taught . I have been to several day/week long courses . Worked hand and hand with some of the better wrenches around . I have one of the more exclusive inventory of hand tools/diagnostic equipment you could ever dream of , but it's all at a cost . My hand tools and tool boxes are well in excess of $125,000 and thats not including the shop equipment that I purchased when I had my shop . You work in the sunlight in 100 degree days and in shops that aren't heated real well in the winter . Sometimes the moneys great , sometimes not . If you're a flat rate mechanic , no work in the shop/no money . Depending on what you take in college , you could be working in as climate controlled office making the same if not more than what a decent mechanic could make . Wrenching is also tough on the body . Being bent over a fender for hours on end lifting 60 lb cylinder heads . Lower back pain , smashed and cut fingers , etc... It's awesome being a mechanic . Being able to fix your own vehicles , family and friends . Every year the manufacturers come out with something new that requires some new tool or gadget . You'll have to buy it eventually if you want to stay current . You can only borrow your buddies for awhile . Then you have to worry about lending your stuff and getting it back in working order . It's alot . If you want to be a wrench best thing I can tell ya , get hooked up with someone who knows their stuff . Theres nothing any better than learning from someone whos got the experience and who's been doing it for years . If your gonna persue this , look at the electrical aspect of it . Anyone with some smarts can turn a wrench . But being able to trace out a electrical problem thats where the money is . You can pretty much name your price . If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout .

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 01-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.