View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road

To answer your question... I wired it in parallel (as you would normally). It makes a HUGE difference when I start my truck... the intake heater grid no longer zaps all the current from my batteries.

Now my turn for questions... Why would you need this mod if you drive a 1500??? You have neither an intake heater nor does your starter pull nearly as much current as the monster they bolt up in the Cummins engine. Was it just for S's & G's? If you're planning on bolting one up for some other reason, then you need to install it as close to the device (whatever is drawing down your batteries) as possible and use the appropriate gauge wiring. You alternate option is to add a hybrid battery as a 2nd battery in your trucks electrical system (again, wired in parallel, or you'll fry your starter by giving 24 volts). The Hybrid batteries (and caps for that matter... they're basically the same thing) are a gel cell battery and a "large" capacitor in one housing.

In the spring, I'm planning replacing my primary battery with an optima gel cell, keeping the 3.0 farad cap in place and swapping the secondary battery with a 1000amp hybrid. I should be able to say "bye-bye" to battery maintenance at that point (except for occasionally cleaning the terminals).

Johnny