Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
MOPAR stallion is on a distinguished road
Default loose steering

Hey all,

my steering box is super loose. the previous owner said that it need aligning but it is clearly not that because at times it is aligned perfectly and others i have the wheel turned almost 45 degrees when i am going straight. considering i have a pretty big 4x4 that is hard enough to drive and park i would like to address this issue soon. by using the search i was able to see that this is a pretty common problem on our trucks.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1009...4x4/index.html

from what i read it looks like the above way is the best way to go about this. how many of you have done this and vouch for it? i will probably also replace the ball joints because they are pretty warn (wheels are starting to torque out a bit when at a stand still)

is this pretty much a sure fix for my issue? or is there other parts that may be the problem. i had her over at the mechanics to fix something else and he was pretty sure it was the steering gear just from driving it into the shop

i just dont want to end up replacing a bunch of parts that were fine to begin with. i am used to the old cars where suspensions were much simpler!

thanks for any input
Sponsored links