View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

Never done them on a 4x4, but I would assume the CV axle could be gotten around pretty easily. I also see that you may have rust/ corrosion issues that I dont have as well.

That said, the process is actually straight forward. The upper joint has to be replaced with the control arm, so that takes the biggest bear out of that one. Its a matter of unbolting the ball joint and breaking it loose. If the joint is to be changed, I just seperate it from the control arm with a "pickle fork", but if you hit around where the tapered end goes into the control arm, that will work also. Then unbolt the control arm and put it back together the same way you took it off.

The lower joint unbolts and seperates, but has to be pressed in/ out. Autozone and other auto part stores rent tools such as the press. There is a snap ring on the lowers that have to be removed. I usually beat the lowers out with a BFH and use the press to get the new ones back in. Not really a horrible job once you get into it. For me the hardest part is always jacking the truck, placing jack stands and taking the tires off. Once I get past that, the rest is a cake walk..........................and a few well placed cuss words.