View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:12
dewzram is on a distinguished road

Well, I finally have gotten around to buying some tires for those 17" offroad wheels. First, I had Midwest Alloy Wheel Repair refurbish one of the wheels which had quite a few scratches on it, and I need to thank Wes for that job, he did phenomenal work and only charged $85. So I only have $160 in the set of Offroad wheels and they all look brand new now.

As for the tires, for years I have been wanting to try a newer Retread company since I've heard nothing but praise. So did some homework and after speaking with them a few times, I decided to pull the trigger on a set of their 285/70/17 Warden A/T Retreads, which by the way are a duplicate tread of the BFG A/T TA KO's. Additionally I requested a matching set of BFG A/T TA KO casings be used, hard to go wrong when they start with a great casing. These are D Load, 8 ply tire with a max psi of 65. Overkill for a 1/2 ton I know, I'm currently running them at 35 psi, but thinking about jumping to 40. I know most snarl at the idea of a retread (my father sure does), but if you haven't looked lately, check out the process that http://treadwright.com uses. I'll give a shout out to them because I'm very impressed with their work, and so was my mechanic buddy who mounted them for me. In-fact, he couldn't even tell they were retreads until I told him. The set of 4 new BFG retreads were $498 shipped to my house. About exactly 1/2 price of a new set of BFG's.

As a report.....This size equates to 33's, and they fit like a glove. Absolutely no rubbing, even at full lock. They have however hurt my gas mileage. I didn't think that was even possible, but I have gone from a normal commuting average of 13.5, to a dismal 11.8 on average now. Ouch!! I'm sure Al Gore would be having a hissy right now. LOL!

Last edited by dewzram; 01-27-2011 at 11:59 AM.