Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 3.92
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
kgb503 will become famous soon enough
Default Engine Light update

So my engine light came on Wednesday.

Panicked, I checked the manual, and it said that a solid light wasn't too bad and to keep driving through several normal driving cycles, and then if it is still on, take it in. If it was a flashing light however, then it's time to worry.

Since I was due for an oil change and the dealer had sent me a coupon for a nice discount, I thought it was a perfect time to take it in. So I made an appointmet for this morning (Friday).
Of course when I started the truck this morning, the light went out...

The dealer told me that the truck runs diagnostics regularly on itself, and if it doesn't get/see/view the error (or whatever it was that told the light to go on) for three consecutive cycles, it will reset itself. This is what must have happened, as the dealer said there wasn't an error code stored in the system.

I'm thinking good news / bad news. Good that nothing major was wrong, bad news that these sensors might be really sensitive, and I could be seeing more of these (which always makes me panic).

I'm assuming that it wasn't just 'nothing', because I did notice for the two days that the light was on, that my ECO light wasn't coming on during my easy driving times. So I assume the engine wasn't shutting down some of the cylinders.. which would mean something was happening, or something had changed, to make it do that... unless of course the engine shuts off that feature when the light is on...???

I did read some other posts where people got problem codes... Not sure if anyone else experienced the light going off on it's own, with no codes, and if so, did anyone notice if the ECO was working or not?

Just worried since I will be starting to take longer drives and towing a trailer shortly, and would hate to have issues in the middle of nowhere...
Sponsored links