View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
misterunlucky is on a distinguished road
Cool 2nd Gen Junk dash solution (maybe)

Ok, I have been through every forum on the net, including this one. Talked to other dodge owners, dodge techs, argued with several dealers and even ma mopar herself! I have a busted dash, as do many, many people. I have spent the last year researching options for repair. There are many people that offer solutions, but no one actually says how well the repair worked. A new dash from mopar dealer is over $500, aftermarket manufacturers run between $300-$400. Junkyard pieces are getting harder and harder to find, but most are around $200. My major concern is this: I do not want to pay even $300 (let alone $500) for a dash that is no better quality or any more durable than the tissue paper dash my truck came with! And nobody can really tell me if either the mopar piece or other aftermarket pieces are any better. So, here is my idea:
Im going to buy the junkyard piece. Before I install it, I am going to take some fiberglass cloth and resin and put a layer on the underside of the dash. I plan to do as thin a layer as possible, trying to keep the weight down, but still add strength and rigidity to the dash.
I dont know if anyone has tried this, or any other way to improve the dash. I do not ever wanna deal with this again, and plan on keeping my truck until the day I die. If anyone has an opinion, or an answer or suggestions or anything, please feel free to step in. If I havent heard anything discouraging, I plan to commence the repairs this weekend, and will be sure to post the outcome and maybe some pics on here after I am done. Wish me luck!
Sponsored links