View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Stuffed Peppers

6-8 large green bell peppers
"family size" Rice A Roni Spanish Rice flavor
1 can of Rotel "original"
1lb of lean ground beef
1/2 tube of Italian sausage
chili powder to taste
1 Tsp garlic (chopped or diced)
about 1/2 c of onion (diced)
1tsp Tony Chachere's
dash of Szechuan Style Pepper Blend
dash of McCormmick "Hot Shot"
dash/ pinch of any other spice in the cabinet that looks good
grated/ shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack) enough to cover the top of each pepper

---cut the tops off of each pepper, and clean out the seeds, and such from the inside. wash well, then place in a large pot of boiling water for about 6-8 minutes.
---remove peppers from water to cool, I place them on a clean dish towel.
---while the peppers themselves are parboiling the meat needs to be browned.
---over medium heat, combine about half of the onions and garlic and all of the meat in a large skillet, and brown it until cooked completely. adding Chili powder and other spices to the mix as you go. It's important to note, you can make this as spicy or as mild as you wish, the trick is in how much of the chili powder and other spices you add. I've never had it come out the same way twice.
---strain meat mixture and place to the side. I use a slotted plastic spoon and a wooden spoon to strain as much of the grease out as I can, I then place the meat in a large bowl that has the bottom lined with paper towel
---make the Spanish rice as per the instruction, except that you will add the remaining garlic and onion when you first start to brown the "vermicelli". I also add about an additional cup of medium grain rice to the mix while I'm doing this step, though it's not completely necessary. I tend to add more chili powder as I'm browning, as well as some of the other spices. The amount of the spices used and listed above are bad guesses. I don't honestly know how much of what I use.
---when you reach the point where it calls for you to add the water and "flavor packet" do so, then add your meat to the rice mixture. You'll need to stir frequently to get it mixed up. Continue to follow the instruction on the package, simmer for about 20-30 minutes until most of the moisture cooks off. Once the rice mixture is complete, remove from heat and set to the side to cool for a bit
---while you're waiting for the rice/ meat to cool it's a good time to catch up on what's happening on the fourmz
---Using a wooden spoon (or any other type of spoon if your prefer) fill each pepper to within about 1/4- 1/8 inch of the top. You'll have to do some gentle packing of the rice, making sure you fill all the nooks and crannies.
---place each stuffed pepper into an oven safe baking dish (I'll typically use one that's about 8X12. I also use a non stick spray on the bottom (as this helps with clean up.
---cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 degrees for about 25-30 minutes
---after about a half hour remove the foil, and sprinkle cheese into the top of each pepper. It doesn't take much, but you can put as little or as much as you wish.
---bake for an addition 10-15 minutes
---enjoy

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill

Last edited by Excoastie; 02-10-2011 at 09:21 AM.