View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 5.9 V8 1500 Series
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Jon89 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the additional information....

I popped the hood this morning and found the two heater hoses. Everything looks fairly accessible so I think I'll just follow your excellent instructions and do this as part of my 60,000-mile service coming up in a few weeks....

One more question - after I've flushed the radiator and the heater, will every drop of water eventually drain out of the system if I leave that lowest block hose disconnected long enough? Or does some water always remain in the block even with the hose disconnected? I'm just trying to understand how much new coolant I'll need to do the job. My owners manual states that the system capacity is 20 quarts (5 gallons). But I wonder if I can really get 5 fresh gallons in there before all components have taken all the coolant mix that they can handle....

Thanks again for your excellent instructions. Never done this before and I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm sure that some if not most of the coolant in my truck is still 1999 original stuff. Although it still looks fairly green, not rusty, I'll bet that its protection capability is pretty weak by now....