View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Exclamation Urgent Info For '08 And Newer 4.7 Owners

I've recently discovered a problem with the top row coil packs that needs immediate attention. Last week I did an upper row plug replacement and when I tried to remove the coil packs, two of the boots tore beyond repair due to them seizing on the porcelin part of the plug. I thought this might be an isolated incident but after another plug replacement today, I discovered this is going to be a problem. The real downer is that plug boots are no longer available seperately from Chrysler and we couldn't locate any in the aftermarket so the entire coil pack must be replaced. Not that it much matters since the boots are only $3 cheaper than the complete coil pack.

If you're covered under the powertrain warranty and it should be covered if the service is done at the dealer but I'm not sure how it would be handled if this happens to a do-it-yourselfer.

My advice - remove the coil and apply dielectric grease to the inside of the boots where they dontact the porcelin part of the plug to prevent seizing.

I also checked the boots on the lower plugs and they came off cleanly but applying dielectric grease to these wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sponsored links