Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

Good show Sammy! I have enjoyed your posts on the steering problems. This post actually makes sense to me as to what was happening in my own steering column. I had my column replaced three times when my truck was new (as I believe I already mentioned) because it would always develop a thumping noise in the steering wheel. Dodge's answer, like you said was to replace the entire column. I didn't like it, but it was under warranty. After the warranty ran out the noise returned on the last column. I wasn't about to replace the entire column at that expense (as you stated the ridiculous cost) so I just shot a lot of WD-40 up that shaft that you show there at the far right. Low and behold the problem went away. Now it makes perfect sense. Over time dirt and crap gets in there and makes the bearing ride rough and transfer vibration up through to the steering wheel. Shooting the WD-40 in there must have lubricated and dislodged the dirt particles that got wedged inside there. Now at least I can understand why it happened and why I was able to redneck it to work. Now it's quiet and when it gives me trouble I just shoot some more WD-40 up there. Eventually the grease will wear away on the bearings and I will have to deal with it more fully as you did.