Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram Ext Cab
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Light Driftwood Satin Glow
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:47
DaSOB is on a distinguished road

Ram15002ndgen, you hit on the same stopgap solution that I did, although I came by it somewhat differently. I shot some teflon/silicone lube up into the column inside the truck, through a metal grate just above the toe plate. At the time, I had no idea that it was the bearing, I was literally shooting in the dark. The noise went away and I assumed (correctly) that I had somehow lubed the offending bearing (I knew it was a bearing from the feel, but finding/replacing it was the bugger). The lube obviously ran down the shaft and into the bearing (blind hawg found an acorn). It was only when I decided to install the Rock Solid bushing that I uncovered the culprit.

My suggestion to you is to spend $60 and get one of Rock Solid's bushings. The hardest part about installing it is working around the vacuum booster. All you really do is cut the spring retainer off the shaft with a Dremel (and that sucker will launch as soon as you cut through) and then pry out the shift collar (took a little doing because it was a tight press fit). Clean off the shaft, shoot a little lube on it, slide the new bushing up nice and snug, then drive on the metal retainer with a section of 1" PVC.

They give you a piece of PVC with the bushing, but it's not long enough unless you have the column off the truck. Spend a couple of bucks on a section of PVC at Lowe's or Home Depot, and cut a nice generous length that will let you have room to swing a mallet up in the engine compartment.

Best $60 I've spent in a while!

Sam

http://www.ramforumz.com/signaturepics/sigpic2117_1.gif

Last edited by DaSOB; 03-12-2011 at 11:38 PM.