View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

DesertDog, I'm no expert, but near as I've been told the rail will tweak like that when the temp get up there (90+) it has something to do with expanding metal etc... it also wouldn't surprise me if there were cross ties that were bad (i.e. rotted out, cracked, split, or otherwise damaged).

I had met a loaded coal train that had just gone over that spot, the engineer on that train warned me about it, so I was looking. Keep in mind that this coal train was weighing in somewhere around 18K to 20K TONS (yup I said tons..do the math hehe) and he went over it at 45MPH I'm sure it was a wild ride. I was going about 10MPH on an empty rock train, when I saw it, I realized that I wasn't gonna go over it until someone who knew what they were looking at, took a look (They later told me it was a good thing that I stopped, even though the powers that be told me it was OK to proceed without anyone looking at it, as it wouldn't have been pretty)

I figure I saved the company several hundred thousand dollars by them ONLY having to fix the track, and not having to clean up rail cars sitting in the middle of the horse pasture that is along side the track. I didn't even get a thanks. I wasn't looking for much, but it would've been nice to be able to get a day off without having to fight tooth and nail, or lie...... Oh well, I guess I'm just a little bit bitter. I'll get over it eventually.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill