Thread: CB Radios
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

All of my friends, including my girlfriend, have CBs. Probably one of the best investments I made, I couldnt tell you how many tickets its saved me from. My girlfriend lives between a power plant and the coal mine so its her morning entertainment, she insists its better then listening to talk radio.
We all have them for the same reason as you. Either in jeeps or in there tow rigs. Traveling in a group there great.
I have a uniden 520 xl, its small, inespensive and works great. I wouldnt recomend getting anything from Radio Shack, way to expensive and there not even that great of products. I ordered all of my equipment online and maybe have $50-$60 into the setup.
Wiring is really easy, I just put a cigerrette lighter plug onto it and plug it into the center consol, stuck the radio between the passenger seat and consol and ran the antenna wire under the passenger seat and out the back passenger door.
If you look around you can find alot of different mounting solutions for trucks. I just used the mirror brackets that it came with and bolted it to my tool box and have dual 3ft fiberglass whips.
Keep in mind you need to run a ground to the antennas (unless you get a special antenna) and the more surface area you have, higher up of course, for the signal to "bounce" off of the better reception you'll get
Not sure how far the range I have with the dual whips is but its atleast 6-8 miles, which is plenty for me