View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:53
cyberpine will become famous soon enough
Default Truck Tire Size and Wheel well engineering.. duh winning?

A bit of a Rant targeted mostly to the big three's truck engineering departments.

The most common mod we all make on our trucks is changing out the stocky wimpy tires. Right?

You would think by now, 60 years later, that truck designers would get it and see the value in making it easy on us and in turn promoting their own products by facilitating the mod .. right? Well.. Nah.

My 2010 is a beautiful truck and the stock chrome clads are nice to haves too. But naturally I want fatter tires for it..

You would think that rim and wheel well would accomodate a few COMMON sizes up and out without having to make other mods.. but no it's not to be.

Check out how close the stock tire is to the control arm. My finger does not even fit in the gap... really? really? That's just really short sited engineering.

Would you guys agree that this elbo will likely be the obstruction with really wide tires like 325/50/20 on that stock setup? Keep in mind I'd be going from from 10.8 inches wide to 12.8 .. that's at least an inch on either side. what's confusing is that this elbo is fixed relative to the tire (or so it seems).. so not sure why 305/55 would only have an issue with it at full lock. I'm at work and did not want to get under the truck to look on the inside on the torsion bar side to see how close it was there, but the wheel well itself seems like it would accomodate the 325/50.

If anybody know or has pics.. where does the 305/55/20 rub exactly and it any closer to rubbing to that part than stock? Maybe tire width does not impact that elbo is that is pretty close to the rim edge?

Last edited by cyberpine; 03-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.