View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge 3500
Color: white
Rep:10
pred is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent power loss, 2002 5.2

I dont know if this will get the most exposure here, If there is somewhere else here which may get more action please let me know,
This is in a 2002 3500 van with a 5.2 in it,
118K miles.
Only when engine warm.
Highway feels like all power gone for 1 to 2 seconds, Could do it every 20 miles or 3 to 4 times every 1 second on and off power, Floor pedal, then trans downshifts and pulls great!
Now get off the highway and it will sputter, Kick and occasionally backfire into the intake, But again, Floor it and it pulls great and runs fine.
I bought this truck a few days ago knowing of this issue, Now I need to fix it,
It does not throw a code,
Runs fine when cold,
Was at dealer twice with old owner and they could not find issue, I got the truck at a good price with this issue that again wont even show up till you drive it a good 1/2 hour.
We ran the truck for 800 miles the past two days and it wont shut off, Seems to idle fine and seems to give full power when asked,
Now when you give it just a small bit of throttle it will do the kick and buck thing or just feel like there is nothing there,,,,,,,
It has 118K now,
Notes show new cap rotor and wires at 89K, New plugs a couple thousand miles ago as well as a new coil.
New CAT and O2 sensors about 20K ago and a new Throttle position sensor 20K ago.
What would you do?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Peter and Eileen
Sponsored links