View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:53
cyberpine will become famous soon enough

That blue retro looking shortbed looks sweet lifted like that. I problably would have ended up in a shortbed if the hemi transmission was not on the floor and I could fit 3 in a bench.

I've owed trucks with steel rollbars bolted through the floor and lights like that .. looks awsome, but my take on it (besides being clearly retro), is that steel is way
too heavy and creates all sorts of rust issues down the line and lights really kill mpgs. I found I would never use them. However and eventually,
I found myself using the rollbar as a headache bar instead and so took the lights off. If you use your truck like a truck (I find) Headache bars are extremely valuable.

I could not find what I was looking for - a lightweight aluminum fat tubular rack that would not take up any more space from the bed than my low profile tool box was taking
.. Something I could use to stack 2x4x12s or a ladder or carry a 16 foot kayak on top of.
Something with support tubs angled in almost a racing like roll cage ... So I designed and fabricated my own.

I was planning to close the open tubes, but actually like the way it looks and have a very good use for that since a PVC coupler fits right in there nicely.. a the plug for custom bike rake that can take up 6 bikes
And as interface port for a custom truck bed camping/fishing/hunting tent (PVC frame) that will extend 4 feet further back than the end of the tail gate down. Hey.. somewhat homemade, but will
be extremely functional and easy to set up.

It's custom and unique... I've gotten compliments and stares.. I know some people don't like the astetics of it .. people seem to be interested in it as I get questions about who built it
.. I really like it and find it to be incredibly functional.

It's 1/8 inch 3 inch diameter tubular aluminum bolted to the bed rail lip in 4 spots with stainless steel pressure nuts.

The frpm cross bar is just a hair over the cab line so very aerodynamic and the back cross bar is slightly lower so that anything sitting on top is a good 3 inch above the front of the cab roof.
There are a bunch of drill holes under the cross tubes for easy strapping.

Lots of interesting angle cuts, grinding and welding work .. but aluminum is just the most beautiful material to work with. It's powder coated, but getting beat up badly anyways.
I know it's no real roll cage and that's okay.

Last edited by cyberpine; 04-11-2011 at 12:41 PM.