Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:166
Wildcat has a spectacular aura aboutWildcat has a spectacular aura about

I have been doing a lot of research into this cheap mod, and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to stay away from it for several reasons. The first being that the computers in our trucks are programmed to run most efficiently around 200ish degrees, and running cooler can actually negatively impact fuel efficiency. Also, most motor oils are formulated to be run around 200 degrees and running cooler can actually reduce the oils lubricating properties. There is a widely held belief in many circles that this can actually prevent burnoff of carbon and other contaminants and lead to engine sludge. I know, running hotter can also negatively impact the oil, but from what I have read, this is most noticeable in vehicles running WOT, and in which cases, a larger radiator would have more reduction in temps than the thermostat.

Going to a lower temp thermostat is actually a very old school idea dating back to well before ECU's and modern engine building techniques. They were often swapped in during the summer and out in winter to help regulate the engines for varying seasons.

To each his own, I just wanted to encourage everyone to do a little more research into this if you are considering it. I hope I didn't spark a heated debate here.