View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

It sounds like what you did on your hondas was have the computer locked into open loop mode, which should hurt drivability, performance, and economy.

As far as what I did with the non fouler, I bought a spark plug non fouler (basically an extension for your spark plug) that had the same threads as the o2 sensor, and put it in between the exhaust pipe and the rear o2 sensor(i actually think I used two non foulers to make sure it was spaced out of the exhaust stream enough). If I remember correctly I had to drill out the center of the non fouler that I screwed the o2 sensor into, but this was just a little bit and with a regular drill and regular drill bits. I don't know why this works, but it keeps the check engine light off. I don't know what it'd do if you did it to the front o2 sensors(I don't even know if these trucks have front and rear sets of sensors) but I'd assume it would just make it run slightly poorer or less responsive.

To eliminate the o2 sensors, you'd have to find a way to program the computer to basically run in closed loop all the time. This would result in you having to tune the vehicle to run a one setting, so if you wanted it to run fast for the track, it would probably get terrible gas mileage, and be hard to start, amongst other things.... Again, I maybe know 50% of the info on the subject, but from what I understand this is not a very good idea, just get the new o2's and let the computer/sensors do their job, there's a reason they set them up this way. Also, if you have exhaust leaks near the o2's they will keep going bad, for some reason (again I don't know why) but the air outside the exhaust will ruin them...for example if you ran open headers with o2's in the collectors (6" from the outlet of the exhaust), the o2's would immediately go bad and the car would run poorly if run at all.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.